Coaching Distance and Cross Country Runners
Daniels Running Formula, 3rd edition-Jack Daniels
- Training philosophy, paces, and workouts for all distances; strict periodization and workouts based on current fitness
VOQ Training for Cross Country and Track-Dan Kaplan
- Training philosophy and and workouts for all distances
Healthy, Intelligent Training-Keith Livingstone
- A modern interpretation of Arthur Lydiard’s philosophy; much more accessible but lacking in premade training plans
The Science of Running-Steve Magness
- The first ⅔ of the book represent a year or more in an exercise physiology course; the last ⅓ contains practical training plans
Coaching Cross Country Successfully-Joe Newton
- Training philosophy, workouts, and team management for high school cross country; strong team information, but workouts are might be unrealistic in a current setting
Coaching Cross Country Successfully-Pat Tyson
- Training philosophy, workouts, and team management for high school cross country; a newer version of the Newton classic; stronger on team organization than training
Coaching Middle Distance Runners
Better Training for Distance Runners-David Martin and Peter Coe
- Pioneers in the five pace model, the text represents a real commitment but with an education that comes along with the training philosophy and plans
Strength Training for Track & Field- John Cissik
- Outlines routines intended to help Track athletes gain strength.
Anatomy for Runners-Jay Dicharry
- A compendium of exercises for strengthening the body for the prevention or direct addressing of injuries. Easy to read with great images.
Running Rewired-Jay Dicharry
- A comprehensive and exhaustive look at the mechanics of running including countless exercises to fix problems or prevent injuries. Might not be appropriate for an entire team but perfect for a high performer and special cases. Includes training plans for strength and core work.
USA Track & Field Coaching Manual- Human Kinetics
- Contains event specific training plans and strategies for success.
Peak Performance-Steve Magness & Brad Stulberg
- Research based insights into what helps people perform at their best, in running and other areas of life.
The Mechanics of Sprinting and Hurdling-Ralph V. Mann & Amber Murphy
- Research based analysis of the characteristics of sprinters and hurdlers.
The Science of Hurdling-Brent McFarlane
- Includes workouts and all aspects of successful hurdling.
The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Track & Field- Robert G. Price
- Contains descriptions and photos of event specific exercises.
Track and Field Coaching Essentials-USATF
- Contains fundamentals, sports science, and training plans for all events.
Fiction, Narratives, and Non-Fiction
Once a Runner-John Parker
- considered by many to be the definitive fictional running book. Tells the story of Quentin Cassidy, a runner at fictional Southeastern University, and his pursuit of glory in the mile.
The Animal Keepers-Donn Behnke
- the story of a team’s success in running and in life including the triumph of a special needs runner.
Running With the Buffaloes-Chris Lear
- follows the 1998 University of Colorado Men’s Cross Country season, which includes success, struggles, and tragedy.
Sub Four: Alan Webb and the Quest for the Fastest Mile-Chris Lear
- follows the freshman year of Alan Webb at the University of Michigan, just months after he set the U.S. High School mile record of 3:53.46.
Bowerman and The Men of Oregon-Kenny Moore
- Traces the history of Bill Bowerman, the legendary University of Oregon XC/Track coach, and the many famous runners he coached.
God on the Starting Line-Marc Bloom
- follows Marc Bloom, founder of The Harrier (a long standing XC/Track publication), as he enters the cross country coaching ranks for the first time.
The Sports Gene-David Epstein
- A compelling journey through human limitations and a counter argument to Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hours theory of excellence. A must read and page turner.
- Written for a mass audience, this accessible work focuses on the human body’s (and minds!) ability to endure extreme circumstances including exercise and racing.
Leadership, Team Building, Program Culture, Expectations & Core Values
Championship Team Building: What Every Coach Needs to Know to Build a Motivated, Committed, and Cohesive Team- Jeff Janssen, M.S.
- Includes strategies for strengthening a team in any sport and any level.
The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership -Bill Walsh
- Outlines the philosophy of Bill Walsh, legendary NFL coach who led the San Francisco 49ers to 3 Super Bowl titles in the 80s.
The Energy Bus- Jon Gordon
- Includes 10 strategies for positive thinking and handling adversity.
Winning Every Day: The Game Plan For Success -Lou Holtz
- The National Championship coach for Notre Dame reveals 10 strategies for excellence in personal and professional life.
You Win In The Locker Room First- Jon Gordon & Mike Smith
- Includes 7 principles to help organizations improve and leadership/culture to flourish.
How to Build and Sustain a Championship Culture- Jeff Janssen, M.S.
- Reveals the 6 key characteristics that championship cultures have in common.